Between 2013 and 2020, the retail sector is anticipated to grow by 54,800, with the majority of
opportunities existing at a managerial level. Highly skilled managers are increasingly in demand owing
to technology, changing customer trends and more streamlined, cohesive supply chain models.
- The retail sector is the UK’s largest private sector employer, with 2.9 million employees.
- Customer service is critical in an incredibly competitive retail market, where two-way
conversations are instant via global social channels.
- There are approximately 287,000 retail outlets in the UK.
- 66% of all retail employees work for the largest 75 retail companies.
- More than a third of consumer spending goes through shops – though this may change with
anticipated growth in online spending.
- Retail’s current gender split is 58:42 (female/male).