Engineering Sector Overview
The pace of technological development is such that many of the existing jobs in engineering will have evolved significantly in years to come.
- Major growth sectors include aerospace, chemicals, space and renewable energy.
- The sector faces a significant skills gap and emphasis is now on creating a seamless career path into engineering.
- Engineering makes a vital and valued contribution to the UK economy, and can help mitigate the major global challenges of climate change, ageing populations, and supply of food, clean water and energy.
- Over a quarter of the UK’s firms operate in engineering sectors.
- Engineering sectors produce the majority of the nation’s exports and play an essential role in supporting the UK’s international competitiveness by investing in research and development and innovation.
Engineering Sector Details
The sector’s critical skills shortage presents an opportunity for education establishments and employers to collaborate and for fresh talent coming through the ranks to gain valuable skills for career progression.
- We recruit a wide range of roles in engineering, from procurement and purchasing to logistics and supply chain.
- There is greater emphasis on technical competency in today’s climate as well as strong management and leadership skills to oversee complex, fast-evolving projects.
- The challenge posed by ‘hard to fill’ roles in the sector could potentially stall new product development and innovation. Access to training and development and high calibre candidates is critical for the economy.
Latest vacancies in this sector
See what our clients have to say…
I have found that the level of service and professionalism is exceptional. For me, one of the most important aspects of any relationship is ongoing communication and ensuring that I am kept up to speed with a process and how this is progressing and this is certainly an element of the service provided that I feel is a strength of Cast.
HR Business Partner at JD Sports
Cast UK recently completed a large recruitment assignment on our behalf, recruiting all required employees at every level from Operations Manager through to drivers for a newly constructed site in Harlow. They fulfilled all of the project’s requirements within a very tight timescale to a very high standard.
Their knowledge of our business & culture alongside their sector specialist expertise make it a pleasure to work with Cast UK
Head of HR, Bunzl Catering Services
Cast UK take real time to get to know us as a business and really get under the skin of what the role is, what we’re looking for, the culture fit of the business and make sure that they are really trying to find us the absolute best people. We can always rely on Cast to give us some advice in terms of who’s on the market at the moment and what they are looking for from us as an employer
We’ve got a really great relationship with Cast UK and one that we hope will flourish over the years.
HR Manager at Ella's Kitchen
Abbey recognises that the increased demand for excellent logistics candidates in the UK means we need to work hard to attract the best talent in the industry to maintain a top level of service for our Blue Chip clientele. We are confident that Cast UK can provide us with candidates that have the right knowledge and experience to allow us to continue our expansion going forward.
Managing Director at Abbey Logistics Group
Cast UK spent considerable time making sure they understood our business and the role thoroughly, touring our warehouse and investigating exactly what was required. They worked in partnership with us to ensure that our business and culture were matched incredibly well with the best candidates, we were very impressed.
Cast UK’s depth of knowledge regarding our sector and the role’s requirements were second to none.
Finance & Operations Director at Widdop, Bingham & Co ltd.
We have been working with Cast UK for 6 months, using Cast Talent. I have been telling everyone I meet/work with how pleased we are with the services that Cast UK provide. I would like to compliment Cast UK on both the service packages on offer and specifically the on the quality of the team they employ.
I am one very satisfied customer.
I was initially skeptical about Cast UK's video interviewing service, but since using it I absolutely love it. We were able to learn so much more about a candidate through video interviewing than we would by just looking at their CV.
Cast UK took care of all first-stage interviews, meaning we didn't have to take hours out of our working day. This meant the whole process was significantly faster, Cast managed to turn the job around and hire someone much quicker than we thought possible.
I would definitely go to Cast UK as a recruitment partner for any future requirements we have.
Looking to advance your career?
If you’re looking to make your next career move in these specialisms, drop us a line and we can start matching your experience with some fantastic roles.Register with us
Thinking of placing a position?
If you are an employer and want to know more about our specialist recruitment services, please get in touch today.Discuss your options