UK manufacturers continue to look forward with confidence, on the back of on-going investment in
machinery, automation, IT and training and development. It is an evolving sector, shaped by global
markets, cohesive supply chains and the acceleration of disruptive technology.
- Key drivers for investment are improving productivity, innovation and product development.
- A major challenge for the sector is bridging skills gaps and ensuring a continuous pathway
into industry from secondary and higher education.
- Technological revolutions such as 3D printing could massively shake up the sector.
- We exist in an age of advanced experimentation with operating models, which is a response to
on-going globalisation and the need for “anytime, anywhere” services.
- The coming years will bring a period of dramatic transformation due to advanced technology,
big data and analytics.